images from the lundy island marine conservation zone
A female cardinal, very much alive (thanks to sh). Richard Rohr writes that ‘if you split entirely [between life and death], you spend your whole life trying to avoid any kind of death.’ Andrea Warner notes that ‘over the last 15 years … marketing speak infiltrated each corner of our waking lives.’ Similarly, David Suzuki observes that ‘governments, media and much of the public are preoccupied with the economy. That means demands such as those for recognition of First Nations treaty rights and environmental protection are often seen as impediments to the goal of maintaining economic growth.’ What blurred the vision of a Just Society? A Just Society is more than the bottom line. It requires compassion and critical thinking. Critical thinking at times makes people feel uncomfortable and unfamiliar. Perhaps because we’re not comfortable and familiar with death. But 15, 20 years ago we were facing our fears, at least musically. In fact Sarah McLachlan had a song called Fear on her 1993 album Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. Remember other 90s fearless women’s voices? A few men too? Kurt Cobain, Warner points out, ‘spoke out against rape, sexism, homophobia and racism.’ Warner concludes that ‘we may very well be on the eve of a feminist resurgence.’ Lorde and Tegan and Sara ‘have never been more popular. Folk-blues artist Valerie June is unstoppable. Grimes and Janelle Monáe are massive inspirations.’ Suzuki says that ‘we deserve better indicators of societal well-being that extend beyond mere economic growth. Many economists and social scientists are proposing such indicators. Some argue we need a “genuine progress indicator” … [or] an Index of Sustainable Economic Welfare. The Kingdom of Bhutan has suggested measuring gross national happiness.’ Could be a matter of life and death.
• 2014-02-26–the shannon–ireland’s wild river.
• 2014-02-27–allergies are rapidly on the rise. there are some exceptions, as we found out.
What do female feminists want of male feminists? Jezebel lists some things:
- Have a sense of humour
- Be pissed off, too
- Don’t get hung up on the name
- Really mean it
- You don’t have to be perfect
- Speak out in front of other guys
- Back it up with actions
- Advance pro-feminist arguments, especially art
- Be our friends
- Challenge traditional masculinity
Les Kaye (author of Zen At Work) admits he’s not as smart or as well-spoken as fellow meditators Kabat-Zinn or Ricard; however, meditation doesn’t take smarts or well-spokenness. It’s a technique for inquiry into the mind. How do you juggle busy and meditation? Kaye offers his experience.
• 2014-03-01–bob ballard dives into the alien deep of hawaii’s next island; award-winning esl teacher monica petrus teaches more than grammar–she teaches citizenship and self-esteem; off the british coast is amazing life in the lundy island marine conservation zone.
• 2014-03-02–as much as possible we listen to public radio, such as the cbc or cjrt, and watch public tv, like tvo or pbs. besides having few ads, they have great shows. we watched something completely different from the academy awards: shows about tudor farmers and the changing bedroom.’ jm came over this aft. we caught up on our families, artistic doings, and other journeys.
Red Hot live at the Lincoln Center with Superhuman Happiness and friends.
Andrea Warner wonders ‘WTF happened to ’90s feminism in music?’