[*NEW! Two Versions!* Click here for the unabridged version]
• 2014-02-11–on wonders of life, how the senses developed over billions of years.
‘Interbeing’, coined by Thich Naht Hanh, is achieved with mindfulness, which helps ‘us cultivate concentration and insight which free us from fear and the illusion of a separate self.’ There are five basic mindfulness trainings.
Thich Naht Hanh inspired Jon Kabat-Zinn, who started mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR).
• 2014-02-13–poetry by mary oliver. i’m concerned that in the last twenty years my thinking has become more propositional (fact-based) and less implicational. unbalanced. maybe i should redress that imbalance. kabat-zinn, for example, quotes poems. i’ll start with this one. meanwhile, the roads to revolution in the art of russia started centuries ago.
Friday (Valentine’s Day)
• 2014-02-14–reading phyllis loves kelly by phyllis gotlieb. sue provided a very yummy dinner of salad, sprouts, and spicy squash followed by chocolate i scream, as well as dark chocolate from tcho–mm-mm-mm!
some short poems of love by phyllis gotlieb:
• 2014-02-15–sno to t-o; who are archy and mehitabel? more poetry: ‘Archy is a cockroach with the soul of a poet, and Mehitabel is an alley cat…. Together, cockroach and cat are the foundation of one of the most engaging collections of light poetry.’
This just in: ‘We can get discouraged if we think we are at a standstill. But we also have to be patient when we feel we are not growing. In winter, it seems that the trees aren’t growing; they are waiting for the sun; they have to be pruned. So we need reminding too of the value of waiting.’–Jean Vanier
• 2014-02-16–maybe understanding happens piecemeal: ‘It’s like a schoolhouse/of little words,/thousands of words./First you figure out what each one means by itself,/… Then you begin, slowly, to read the whole story.’–from ‘breakage‘ by mary oliver. as she says, things happen ‘slowly’, which is hard on my impetuous self. oliver writes (in ‘the moths’), ‘If you notice anything,/it leads you to notice/more/and more.’ right now, if i notice things, and people especially, it might make a difference later; certainly now.
bg and pf in the morning, usj in the evening.
• 2014-02-17–bb came by. sno back. the castles of ludwig ii of bavaria ‘were described at the time as “so ridiculous they are beyond all taste”…. This handsome boy-king was loved by his people, betrayed by his cabinet and found dead in tragic and mysterious circumstances.’ the agenda featured five guests originally from lebanon, albania, india, ghana, and south korea, as it asked, even in a very multicultural city like toronto, ‘Is having an accent an obstacle or a benefit in day to day life?’
Remember Bruce Cockburn? Here‘s a whole live recording.
Zoo Owl’s ‘Twin Mirror‘ now has a video.
Denzal Sinclaire sings Tofu And Greens.