Paraprosdokians are ‘figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected; frequently humorous. Winston Churchill loved them.’
- Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.
- There but for the grace of God, goes God.
- Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
- I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not so sure….
- To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
- Going to church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
- You’re never too old to learn something stupid.
- I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to.
(thanks to km–more paraprosdokians…)
• 2013-12-26–had ometepe coffee, ‘sustainable, certified organic, fair trade coffee, imported from Ometepe Island in Nicaragua…, marketed under the name “Ometepe Coffee” by a group of volunteers who then donate their profits to projects in Central America’; watched return of the king.
Mary Daly’s (pictured here in the 1970s) ‘work continues to influence feminism and feminist theology, as well as the developing concept of biophilia [see Wilson’s definition below, but read the rest of Daly’s ideas] as an alternative and challenge to social necrophilia…. She created a thought-praxis that separates the world into the world of false images that create oppression and the world of communion in true being. She labeled these two areas foreground and Background respectively. Daly considered the foreground the realm of patriarchy and the Background the realm of Woman. She argued that the Background is under and behind the surface of the false reality of the foreground. The foreground, for Daly [an ethical vegetarian], was a distortion of true being, the paternalistic society in which she said most people live. It has no real energy, but drains the “life energy” of women residing in the Background. In her view, the foreground creates a world of poisons that contaminate natural life. She called the male-centered world of the foreground necrophilic, hating all living things. In contrast, she conceived of the Background as a place where all living things connect.’ According to EO Wilson, biophilia is the connection ‘ “that human beings subconsciously seek with the rest of life.” He proposed the possibility that the deep affiliations humans have with nature are rooted in our biology.’
• 2013-12-28–at knl’s: hk picked up x; played scrabble with k again (she creamed me); a, t, and m visited; ac dropped by after work; sno home, me too; everything’s melting; we watched ‘If Walls Could Talk (The Kitchen)’ and ‘Manet: The Man Who Invented Modern Art‘.
• 2013-12-29–what is tippie hedren (pictured in 2006, second from right) doing these days, and why should i care, and what’s a liger? she once starred in hitchcock films such as the birds, but since 1983 she has run the shambala preserve near los angeles. people get these cute kittens, except they’re lion, tiger, bobcat kittens, and they grow up big and kinda wild and not so cute anymore, so hedren shelters them. michael jackson’s tigers ended up there. this is symptomatic of how we uncaringly abandon cats, animals, ourselves, and each other, around the world. a liger (pictured) is a cross between a tiger and a lion and only found in captivity. hedren unfortunately shelters one, which we saw on joanna lumley: catwoman. (lumley is a vegetarian and has little time for zoos, but she makes time for shelters, like those in LA and bristol and even namibia, which shelters the rarest of the big cats, cheetahs. one of the cheetahs was named pippin. i kid you not. thanks to sh)
- Be of good cheer
- Be mystified
- Be accepting of things changing
- Be courageous to change things
- Be grateful
- Be curious
Usually I post music on Mondays, but today (2013-12-30) I’ve been listening to CBC Radio 2 while researching Thomas Berry’s Dream Of The Earth (44-46). He writes that the ecological age we are entering succeeds the technological age and takes us back to three principles: differentiation (from the simplicity of the Big Bang to the complexity of human societies [and beyond? into the unknown?]); subjectivity (developing a subject of increasing complexity from the hydrogen atom to the human brain; each subject is a reality); communion (‘of each reality … with every other reality‘).
In other words, as the universe ages and entropy increases, things become more distinct and more aware, but remain connected. (Einstein’s ‘spooky-action-at-a-distance’?) Our job now is to align with this growing distinction, awareness, and connectedness.
• 2013-12-30–we watched a double-header of ‘David Starkey’s Music and Monarchy‘–‘Revolutions’ (17th century) online, ‘Great British Music’ (18th century) on TV.